- ScanGroup Limited announced the unaudited results of the Group for the six-month period ended 30 June 2023, with a 2% increase in gross profit compared to the same period in previous year.
- The company undertook a comprehensive restructuring programme in Q2 2023 to better align with current and future client needs. This included a one-off severance cost of Kshs 178 million, which resulted in a reduction in profit from Kshs 9.6 million to a loss of Kshs 106 million.
- Major trading currencies, including the Kenyan shilling, Ghana Cedis, and Nigeria Naira, have depreciated, leading to a higher exchange gain of Kshs 182 million compared to a gain of Kshs 65 million in the previous period.
- The loss for the period was mainly driven by the one-off severance charge, resulting in a loss of Kshs 124.5 million compared to a loss of Kshs 47 million in the previous period.
- The accounting policies used are consistent with those used for the Group’s 2022 annual financial statements.
- No interim dividend is recommended by the Board of Directors.
- Despite the inflation and increased cost of living, the company is optimistic about growth in the second half of 2023, predominantly driven by technology-backed solutions and increased new business activity.
About ScanGroup Limited (SCAN.ke)
WPP-ScanGroup Limited is the largest marketing and communication group in the Africa sub-region with leading advertising agencies and media houses falling under the holding company name. These include Ogilvy & Mather, SCANAD, JWT, BluePrint Marketing, GroupM, MediaCom Africa, Mindshare and MEC. Public relations companies include Ogilvy PR and H+K Strategies; marketing research agencies include Millward Brown; specialty communication agencies include Roundtrip and Geometry Global; digital companies include OgilvyOne, Squad Digital and SCANAD Digital. WPP-Scangroup has expertise in advertising, media investment management, advertising and marketing research, public relations, digital advertising and communications marketing strategy. WPP-ScanGroup has a presence in 25 countries in sub-Sahara Africa and majority-owned offices in Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. It has minority-owned operations in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Namibia, Senegal and Zimbabwe. Scangroup became a subsidiary of WPP in 2013 and the company changed its name to WPP-Scangroup Limited in 2015. WPP-ScanGroup Limited is listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange
Giri, AfricanFinancials’ Artificial Intelligence (AI) Analyst, sourced this article from the attached or linked document. We cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of Giri’s article and we disclaim any liability arising from reliance on information provided in the article. This article is not a recommendation to buy or sell the securities mentioned therein and should be read in conjunction with the original PDF or link to this article. Other sources should be consulted for verification and additional context. Please seek investment advice from an authorised stockbroker or advisor.