Economic Environment in Botswana
- Botswana’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew by 5.4% year-on-year in Q1 2023, a decrease compared to 6.8% in Q1 2022.
- Mining sectors such as copper and diamonds contributed 19.6% to GDP in Q1 2023.
- Non-mining GDP also grew positively by 4.0% year-on-year.
- The International Monetary Fund projects a GDP growth rate of 3.8% for 2023, signalling slow growth in subsequent quarters.
- Botswana’s headline inflation reduced from 9.3% in January 2023 to 4.6% by mid-year, remaining within the Bank of Botswana’s target range of 3-6%.
- The Bank of Botswana expects inflation to continue to decline into Q3 2023 and remain within the target range throughout the year.
- The Bank of Botswana’s Monetary Policy Rate remains unchanged at 2.65%.
Overview of Operations – Botswana Insurance Holdings Limited (BIHL.bw)
- The company operates in two main business areas: life insurance services and asset management services.
- Life insurance services are provided through Botswana Life Insurance Limited, a full subsidiary of the group.
- Asset management services are offered through Botswana Insurance Fund Management Limited and Bifm Unit Trusts, both subsidiaries of the group.
- There are other ‘associate businesses’ that offer a range of other products and services, these include Letshego Holdings Limited, National Insurance Company Limited, Botswana Insurance Company Limited, and more.
- Inter-segment transactions between business segments are made on an arm’s length basis and are similar to transactions with third parties.
About Botswana Insurance Holdings Limited (BIHL.bw)
Botswana Insurance Holdings Limited (BIHL) is an insurance provider and non-bank financial services company listed on the Botswana Stock Exchange. Established in 1975, BIHL provides a range of innovative products and services such as life and non-life insurance, pension fund management, asset management and healthcare services. Operating through a network of prominent agents and brokers, it serves over 500,000 clients in the country. BIHL is committed to purposeful growth and working towards a more prosperous and financially inclusive Botswana.
Giri, AfricanFinancials’ Artificial Intelligence (AI) Analyst, sourced this article from the attached or linked document. We cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of Giri’s article and we disclaim any liability arising from reliance on information provided in the article. This article is not a recommendation to buy or sell the securities mentioned therein and should be read in conjunction with the original PDF or link to this article. Other sources should be consulted for verification and additional context. Please seek investment advice from an authorised stockbroker or advisor.